Arabella Advisors seeks a Senior Director of Finance to help lead a team that is driving innovation in social impact funding: our Managed Organizations (MO) team. The Senior Director will report to Arabella’s Chief Financial Officer and work closely with the managing director for Managed Organizations. The Senior Director will play an important role on MO’s Leadership Team.
A key leader within the Managed Organizations team, the Senior Director of Finance will oversee all financial activities for the nonprofit organizations and related public interest projects served by Arabella’s Managed Organizations (MO) business unit. Arabella’s MO business is experiencing rapid growth; it currently serves six entities which host over 200 projects focused on a variety of issues including conservation, education, global health, and public policy.
The position will be responsible for providing strategic direction for the current and long-term effectiveness and efficiency of the MO financial operation and ensuring that all financial activities are in line with company goals and objectives. It will plan, direct, and control the financial policies and procedures of the nonprofit organizations served by the MO business unit.
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We help our clients imagine what’s possible, design the best strategies, learn what works best, and do the work necessary to realize their visions.
Our staff is a team of passionate problem-solvers—mission-driven and action-oriented—with a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience.
The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation. Our leadership team, advisors, colleagues, and staff are fundamentally concerned with social change. We share a desire to make a difference and apply an outcomes-focused approach. Our internal culture supports employee passions, enables continuous learning, and fosters innovation, risk taking, and fun—even as it emphasizes excellence.
About the Managed Nonprofit Organizations
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple public charities, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4).These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation and global health. The organizations have also provided fiscal sponsorship to projects focused on voter registration, public policy, education, disaster recovery, and music and the arts.
The Senior Director of Finance will lead a team of 20 staff and be responsible for the following:
Accounting and Finance
- Evaluate and improve accounting controls and procedures; ensure financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures and federal and state regulatory requirements
- Maintain and enhance systems that promote transaction efficiency and timely and accurate reporting. Work with technology team to integrate data and work flows from disparate systems
- Analyze operating and quality data to manage resources and inform corrective actions that improve client service
- Ensure the accuracy and integrity of financial statements by providing leadership on quality assurance and internal control matters
- Prepare materials and provide financial reports at MO board meetings and committee meetings
- Analyze and prepare data for annual budget and budget-to-actual expense comparisons on a regular basis for review by leadership; provide CFO and business unit leadership with budget and cash flow forecasts
- Lead the effort to complete all MO entity tax returns; maintain an accounting system that efficiently captures and produces the data required by such filings
- Coordinates and serves as primary interface to external audits, including donor audits
- Teams with the Chief Financial Officer in establishing and maintaining relationships with banking partners.
- As part of a dynamic and forward-thinking MO finance team strategy, work with the CFO to identify and implement process and reporting improvements and system enhancements necessary to support MO business growth and client service,
- Share financial information and reports with clients in a way that is understandable to all levels of financial literacy. Oversee a team of financial analysts and enhance systems and processes to ensure clients are receiving accurate and timely reporting and advisory support which aligns with their needs.
Team Management and Cultural Stewardship
- Develop and communicate team vision, strategy and goals suited to business expansion and evolving service offerings
- Provides direction for the recruitment, selection, orientation, development and retention of high caliber management staff. Supports managers in the prompt and effective resolution of legal, financial, human resources, and administrative issues.
- Manage, coach and motivate the MO Finance team, including using Arabella management frameworks and tools to assess and develop staff
- Facilitates effective teamwork among managers and promotes healthy and productive cross team relationships
- Develops, analyzes and interprets statistical and accounting information in order to assess operating results and operational effectiveness of the team. Develop quality control and assurance processes that enhance service delivery.
- Promote a culture of excellence in customer service and passion to meet or exceed service standards
- Develop team structure and resource plan to support MO business growth
- Participate in promoting a positive work place culture of collaboration, innovation, and respect.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (e.g. accounting, finance or business) and ten+ years of progressively responsible accounting experience, including seven years of direct oversight of accounting functions
- Experienced and effective leader, communicator, team builder, and negotiator with strong persuasive skills required to negotiate with, develop, influence, and motivate staff at all levels within the organization.
- Solid and well-rounded accounting experience, including coordination of audit activities, accounting for investments, management of reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, and payroll
- A CPA designation and an ability to train others on technical accounting matters
- Proficiency with nonprofit GAAP standards and familiarity with applicable nonprofit, state, and local regulations, particularly with respect to tax and charitable mission compliance
- Ability to synthesize a large amount of complex information into a clear and concise summary, and the ability and desire to communicate complex financial concepts to people at all levels in both finance and non-finance related positions
- Experience in dealing with rapidly growing environments
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate objectives and maintain team focus and effectiveness; excellent organizational and time management skills with ability to prioritize and follow through on multiple projects, strong decision making skills with ability to respond quickly and accurately as issues arise
- Strong customer relationship building skills with both internal and external customers
- The ability to ensure excellence in customer service, motivate staff and organize resources to meet established deadlines.
- Ability to build consensus among cross-functional work teams
- The ability to envision an organization’s structure in the context of different strategies, demands and workflows
- Excellent interpersonal communication and collaboration skills with people of diverse backgrounds
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, fun, transparent, collaborative, and healthy culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more about our people, culture, and work. However, we thought you should know that Arabella is committed to providing excellent benefits to our employees. For you and your eligible dependents, we pay a portion of premiums for health, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide you disability coverage; life insurance; personal and volunteer leave time; a 401K match that you are eligible to receive when you start; funds for professional development; and a fitness benefit.
We also are committed to building a firm that is diverse and inclusive. We invite our clients and employees to be fully themselves. By integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion into our work, we benefit from increased knowledge, creativity, flexibility, and organizational and individual growth. We expect all Arabella staff to share this commitment.
Candidates must submit a resume and one-page cover letter to be considered for the position. The cover letter must address:
1) Size of the staff that you oversee
2) Size of the organization for which you have financial oversight
3) Share a client service success which relied upon process refinement
We will disregard candidates that do not submit the appropriate materials.