Top Fundraising Officer
The Anacostia Watershed Society (AWS) seeks a Fundraising Officer to provide expert direction for the adoption of benchmark best practices and the development of creative strategies that continue to expand the AWS donor base and revenue. The Fundraising Officer will serve as an influential member of the Leadership Team, an effective partner to the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors, a leader for a team of development and communication professionals, and a lead ambassador to high-level partners and donors. This is an exciting opportunity to leverage existing relationships while providing invigorating leadership to this critical piece of the AWS strategy, furthering its mission to protect and restore the Anacostia River and its watershed communities by cleaning the water, recovering the shores, and honoring the heritage.
About the Anacostia Watershed Society
Since its founding in 1989, the Anacostia Watershed Society has worked to attend to the environmental needs of the Anacostia River and its watershed communities. Over the past 27 years, AWS has grown and developed from a small group of concerned individuals into an award-winning $4 million non-profit that is deeply involved in a cause that affects many different communities within the176 square mile region of the Washington D.C. metro area.
As part of its mission, the Anacostia Watershed Society is invested in local areas, working with schools and students throughout Washington D.C. and Montgomery and Prince George’s counties, engaging them in an experience that educates them through hands-on service and allows them to play a part in the continuing improvement of the Anacostia Watershed. In addition, AWS serves as a voice for the river; advocating for and actively involving itself in policies, actions, and programs that protect its ecological health, improve water quality, and work to mitigate the negative effects of storm water, bacteria, trash, etc.
Throughout the Society’s existence, much progress has been made. The river has been subjected to heavy pollution for centuries and considered unfit for fishing and swimming for decades. It was once littered with trash and the wetlands had been almost entirely destroyed. With the work of AWS and help from others, we are now at a point where it is possible to look away from past devastation and focus on the future. The Society works towards a “Waterway to 2025” and envisions a future where the river is swimmable and fishable by the year 2025.
Fundraising Officer Accountabilities
The Top Fundraising Officer is accountable for developing and launching fundraising plans to cultivate and sustain the donors, sponsors and volunteers necessary to deliver on the Anacostia Watershed Society's mission; and in support of delivering on our operating surplus goals that are necessary to sustain the AWS organization. The Top Fundraising Officer works cross functionally with departments, the Leadership Team, the Board and its Development Committee to implement a major donor program that raises funds from high-level donors and top prospects, including fundraising from corporations, individuals, government agencies, foundations, and organizations. The Top Fundraising Officer collaboratively develops, implements, and evaluates organizational and programmatic fundraising plans; identifies, cultivates, and/or solicits major donors; and ensures that donor stewardship, financial tracking and grant tracking systems are managed properly.
In addition to the full breadth of accountabilities in this key management role, the Fundraising Officer’s immediate priorities will be to:
- Identify opportunities for growing and diversifying our funding sources, leveraging new opportunities to address organizational resource challenges.
- Establish the forecast and evaluation of fundraising potential by identifying and rating prospects, and reporting on progress.
- Cultivate and secure opportunities to grow revenue and partnering relationships.
- Actively engage in meeting and cultivating current donors, new donors, and prospects; including foundations, corporations, individuals, government and organizations.
- Direct the production, coordination, and implementation of campaign and solicitation materials/technologies.
- Manage and ensure the coordination of volunteer donor activities to cultivate and request new and renewed gifts.
- Identify, draft and secure grants, providing funding integral to deliver on our mission.
- Oversee grant request and proposals process, to include strategies and timeline for completion.
- Approve, draft and/or edit grant proposals, reports, and correspondence.
- Provide strategic direction, guidance and development support for a team of fundraisers accountable for executing on our fundraising program.
- Accountable for the management of a quality donor relations database, including the update and accuracy of volunteer and donor records.
- Serve as the leader for Board development and engagement.
- Engage as the internal leader for the design and execution of our communication plan.
Professional Qualifications and Personal Attributes
The Fundraising Officer should ideally embody the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- Demonstrated passion for the AWS mission and goals, combined with an entrepreneurial spirit, energized by the opportunities of this position.
- Seasoned leader with 5+ years of progressively responsible experience and proven success in developing and sustaining a comprehensive fundraising program that focuses on all philanthropic sectors.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, financial development, communications, public relations, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships with and raise funds from major donors, and to coach and lead others (staff and volunteers) in major donor cultivation.
- Experience working with both regional and national funders and experience conceiving and implementing a successful fundraising capital campaign.
- Effective management and leadership skills, including the ability to manage people to success and to work together with other parts of the organization.
- Experience working with complex budgets, possessing sophisticated financial analytical skills and an interest in evaluation and performance measurement metrics.
- Ability to generate and deliver clear and persuasive oral and written communications.
- Experience working for a visionary leader. Ability to inspire trust, to organize people into teams and to motivate team members to work well together.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written in order to interact knowledgeably with and impact both internal and external parties.
Compensation for the Fundraising Officer includes a competitive base salary of up to $80k per annum an excellent employee benefits that includes a generous leave program.